Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dear John Lennon,

I find it strange that your song, "Imagine," doesn't really make any sense, at least lyrically. I mean the music is great and everything; I get that part of it. It's the lyrics that I just can't figure out.
For instance, there's this line that goes, "Imagine all the people living for today." Does that mean you want me to live as if there were no tomorrow? Like quit my job, spend all my money on the most stupendous adventure I can conceive, and plow forward free of all the things that have thus far burdened me down with regard for my own wellbeing and that of others? Sounds fun. Except for the massive pinch I'd be in when the money ran out, the cops caught up to me, or I killed someone. Probably not what you meant. So what then?
And then you say, "Imagine... nothing to kill or die for." I notice you don't say nothing to live for. If there's nothing to die for, is there anything to live for? Since you imply you'd prefer there were no countries, I gather you think soldiers are in the business of killing and dying for their nations. Yeah, it's not really like that. In the Western philosophy of war, a soldier is willing to risk his life for his country; he doesn't just sign up to die. No Western soldier wants to die. You might be thinking of suicide bombers. And on the killing thing, do you really believe there's nothing to kill for? Really? So if, let's just say, there were a crazed fan of a certain rock band who wanted to harm a certain Japanese woman, and in the moment of attack you had a chance to prevent it, but only by killing the assailant, you wouldn't do it? Hmm. You must be dreaming. Oh, of course. If there were nothing to kill for, this psychotic fan wouldn't be trying to kill anyone. Riiight.
Still, if you do a little reading on the philosophy of war as a political tool, you'll find that most civilized nations do not view killing people as any sort of end unto itself. In other words, if an objective can be achieved without killing anyone, that's preferable. Sadly, people doing bad things rarely stop when we say when.
Toward the end, there's a line about imagining "no possessions." Did you tell your wife you don't believe in possessions? She seems to think she owns all your songs. I'm sure if she knew your feelings on the subject, she'd change her ways.
BTW, where are you now, anyway? In the sky? I imagine I'll find out soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be the first to say whatever you're about to say!